Friday, June 5, 2009

Evangelical Haircut

Got my hair cut today from a lovely lady . . . who is a Believer. She started down the God path, mid layer. She even said "once I had someone in my chair who claimed to be an atheist!"

Once?

"So you believe things just evolved?!"

We quickly moved on from religion . . . but we did talk about neighbors and raising kids and the "so different" lifestyle I lead.

It takes these encounters for me to remember. I am rather other. I don't wear makeup, "but still you are so feminine." I don't have kids. I'm not married. I don't believe in God. I travel to far away places. I know people who live in cabins in the woods. I know people called Froggy and Crunch and Spermy and Storm and Nasty. I go days and days without showering and I've driven a bulldozer.

Looking around the room at a meeting at work the day before, I felt it as well. My first one true love is a Facebook friend. He hangs with VERY beautiful, super skinny, Southern California girls with tiny little sundresses, smoothened hair and big, bouncy fake boobs. I was looking around our meeting yesterday . . . I don't know those women. The women I hang with don't wear any makeup. They are shaped with strength and wear proper clothes. They drive bulldozers. You know?

And I have to say, I've very comfortable out here in the other right now. I don't want to worry about my eye makeup . . . ever again. And I wouldn't want to be trapped in a world were all there was to talk about was God and other people's children.

No comments: